Axles and shafts
Everyone knows that shafts turn and axles stay put, but what exactly is the major difference?
Shafts are rotating components which transmit torque. This results in forces in the turning direction. Torsional stress is created and, consequently, bending stress is caused by axis-parallel and radial forces.
Axles serve to support rotating components. They do not transmit torque. The load on the components is caused by bending torque.
MISUMI has a large selection of shafts and axles
- Straight shafts and axles with or without groove
- One- or two-sided straight shafts and axles with inner or outer thread
- Shafts and axles for tensile stress
- Hollow shafts
- Drive shafts with or without flange
With multiple options regarding dimensions and shape - even for different ends and a threaded version - you can precisely configure the shafts and axles according to the requirement. Using MISUMI is faster and cheaper compared to conventional manufacturing that is in-house or contracted out.
The need for component drawings and production planning is eliminated completely. Cost savings of 70 percent and time savings of 68 percent can be achieved by choosing MISUMI over a general manufacturing company or another provider for obtaining thermally treated, surface-coated and customised shafts and axles.
As with all MISUMI products, our shafts and axles are manufactured to the highest quality assurance standards. MISUMI processes orders within Germany for as small as 1 product without shipping costs, small quantity surcharge, or a minimum product or order value.
The following materials are used in shafts and axles
- Unalloyed quenched and tempered steel (1.1191/C45E) for machine environments with simple requirements in terms of corrosion resistance and endurance
- Cr-Mo-alloyed quenched and tempered steel (1.7220/34CrMo4) for machine environments with simple requirements in terms of corrosion resistance and endurance
- High-quality corrosion-resistant austenitic chrome-nickel steel (1.4301/X5CrNi18-10)
Video - Application example for workpiece rotation and transfer mechanisms
These videos were kindly provided to us by our USA subsidiary. Therefore, contact the US subsidiary for all related details. All products are also available in Europe.
You can find the application example in our IDEA NOTE collection, including all CAD data and a complete bill of materials.